The connection between your lungs and the immune system is made in ancient Chinese medicine. This medical system developed a different way of understanding the body independent of western biology and medicine. It has been an effective system for promoting health and healing for thousands of years.
Wuhan province in China has terrible air pollution which contributed to their recent health issues by causing weakened immunity. Modern Chinese leaders have forgotten their culture's own wisdom about the link between health and our lungs while pursuing methods of development that bring people out of poverty while at the same time causing serious health issues. Italy is said to be the most polluted country in Europe. This is another place where people have recently had high levels of sickness and deaths attributed to the coronavirus.
Ancient Chinese medicine is based on energetics. The lungs are related to overall vitality through the function of extracting the finest energy from the air. This energy combines with the essential energy derived from food fueling all functions of the body including the immune system, known as wei chi, the most aggressive and strong energy of the body.
When the energy of the body is abundant from optimal lung function, easy to digest and nourishing food, good sleep, rest, and the right amount of activity; the immune system is vital and strong and can protect us from viruses, bacteria and toxins.
There are many things that you can do to strengthen your lungs. Too start, I will offer simple suggestions. Creating what is called a damp condition promotes weakness and congestion in the lungs. The suggestions below help avoid this.
- Eat moderate amounts of good quality fats from saturated and monounsaturated fats such as butter from grass fed animals, coconut oil and olive oil. Avoid fried and rancid fats in regular commercially prepared foods as these congest and weaken the lungs. Saturated fats strengthen the lungs.
- If you eat dairy products choose grass fed products in moderation. Commercial dairy products from cattle in confinement congest the lungs.
- Limit white flour products as they can congest the lungs.
- Eat foods that in China are said to have a metal energy (based on the 5 element theory) which strengthen the lungs. This includes moderate portions of grass fed meat or wild salmon, brown rice, sea salt, miso and root vegetables.
- Eat regular but moderate amounts of foods with preformed vitamin A such as sardines, liver from naturally raised animals, butter from grass fed animals and eggs from pastured chickens. Vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene from plants does not convert well to vitamin A.
- Limit sugars, fruit juice, raw salad, alcohol, excessive water consumption and fruits. Avoid commercial pastries with poor quality ingredients and limit natural pastries.
- Prepare Astragalus tea or take high quality Astragalus supplements. Astragalus is the premier immune, lung and energy tonic of Chinese tonic herbalism. Studies have shown it to be beneficial for cancer, anti- bacterial and anti-viral. Choose high quality Astragalus supplements prepared from a concentrate. You can also rinse a ½ ounce of the root. Add the slices with 4 cups of spring water to an enamel covered cast iron or ceramic pot. Bring to a boil uncovered and simmer until the liquid reduces by 1/3 or ½. Remove the Astragalus. Save the tea. Add 2 cups of fresh spring water with the slices. Bring to a boil and simmer until 1 cup of the tea remains. Discard the slices. Separate into 2 doses. Drink 2 times per day between meals. Refrigerate the leftover tea. Heat up before drinking. You may prepare extra for up to 2-3 days.
Air pollution in Wuhan Province: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50688880/polluted-air-could-be-an-important-cause-of-wuhan-pneumonia
Air pollution in Italy: https://www.lifegate.com/people/news/luxembourg-bans-glyphosate
Four Seasons Herbs: https://shop.fourseasonsherbs.com/astragalus-huang-qi-high-grade-1/4-lb.htm